Find true love. Each day, BARCS takes in an average of 25 – 30 new animals in need of a loving home. The pictures below only represent a portion of the animals that are available for adoption at any given time. Some animals get adopted immediately and their photos never make it onto our website—which is wonderful! If you don’t see what you are looking for, please visit our shelter to meet your perfect match today! Adoption fees are listed here. We are open 7 days a week for adoption!
Everything You Need to Know
When you adopt from BARCS, you don’t save just one life—you save two. Not only are you saving your pet, but you’re opening up space for us to take in another pet in need. Each year, our shelter takes in 11,000 homeless animals from our community, each in need of love and care. By choosing adoption, you are saving a life—you are part of the solution!
- Main Shelter: 301 Stockholm Street, Baltimore, MD 21230 (250 – 300 dogs and cats in care)
- Foster Homes: Please email email@example.com to meet animals listed with "foster care" as their location
- Petco Canton: 3969 Boston Street, Baltimore, MD, 21224, 410-951-7601 (Cats and kittens only)
- Pet Valu at the Southside Marketplace: 895 East Fort Avenue Baltimore, MD 21230, 410-783-1590 (Cats and kittens only)
- Pet Valu at Mt. Vernon Historic District: 1209 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, 410-230-0410 (Cats and kittens only)
- PetSmart Glen Burnie: 597-C E Ordnance Road, Baltimore, MD 21060, 410-582-9444 (Cats and kittens only)
- BARCS BFF Waggin’ adoption events: Check out our online calendar to see where the BFF Waggin’ filled with adoptable animals is headed next!
BARCS Adoption Benefits
- Spay/neuter surgery
- All age-appropriate vaccinations
- Flea and parasite treatments
- Starter bag of Hill’s Science Diet brand pet food
- Unlimited FREE certified training classes and private consultations for lifetime of the animal
In order to adopt, you must be at least 18 years old, provide proof of a current address, and have a current photo ID. Potential adopters must interact with the animals they are interested in and complete an adoption application. Once a selection has been made, applicants meet with a BARCS Adoption Counselor.
When You Visit our Shelter
We encourage all members of the household to partake in the adoption selection process. The chosen animal will have a more enriched life joining a family where all members are comfortable, excited and onboard.
All adopters are required to meet with a BARCS Adoption Counselor, the same day, to discuss any known history about the animal, review the adoption contract, discuss basic animal care and acclimation to a new home environment, and answer any questions. The BARCS Adoption Counselors meet with adopters at various times throughout the day.
If the animal you select to adopt is already spayed/neutered, it may go home that day. If the animal still needs to be spayed or neutered, the new owner will pick up the animal, after surgery. The adopter may visit the animal at the shelter during normal visitor hours prior to the surgery. The animal remains the property of BARCS until it is in the owner’s possession.
Adoptions at BARCS are first come, first served.