Reclaiming a Pet
Policy for Reclaiming Impounded Animals
BARCS accepts and cares for all animals impounded by Baltimore City Animal Control.
The following is the policy for the redemption of impounded animals. The owner is responsible for all charges. Cash and credit card are acceptable payment methods. For questions concerning the reason for the impoundment of your pet, please contact Animal Control at 410-396-4688. Click here for shelter hours.
Per Baltimore City Code Title 10: The owner may reclaim an animal within 72 hours of impoundment. If the owner reclaims the animal, the City may require the owner to pay fees for the care, feeding, housing, and veterinary care of the animal during impoundment. They may also require the animal to be microchipped or may require the animal to be altered. Proof of current pet license, vaccinations, spay/neuter or microchip will lower the cost of the redemption.
- 1st Impoundment: $50.00
- 2nd Impoundment: $70.00
- 3rd Impoundment: $80.00
- Microchip: $35.00
- Boarding: $15.00 per day
- Intake vaccines and flea preventative: $10.00
- Pet license: $5-$30, prices vary depending on if altered and age of owner
- Rabies vaccination: $45.00
- Spay/neuter: $75.00
- Medical fees: Varies depending on treatment provided
- No one under the age of 18 can reclaim an animal
- Proof of owner identification must be provided
- Proof of ownership of the animal must be provided
- For “misrepresentation to obtain custody” of an animal in our care, the penalty is a fine of not more than $1,000, or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both fine and imprisonment for each offense