BARCS' surgical team performs more than 6,000 spay/neuter surgeries per year in our shelter. This program serves the homeless pets in our shelter (every pet adopted from BARCS is spayed/neutered upon adoption), Baltimore’s outdoor community cats as well as free services to owned pets through grant program vouchers.
Why Spay/Neuter Your Pet?
Spaying and neutering are common surgeries that ensure dogs and cats can’t reproduce. Spaying is the surgery for female dogs and cats; neutering is the surgery for male dogs and cats.
Making the decision to spay or neuter your pet is one of the most important and beneficial choices you can make for your animal. And when you consider all of the positives, it's also one of the easiest. From your pet’s health and behavior to helping our city’s chronic pet overpopulation problem, spaying and neutering have positive long-term effects on the well-being of your animal and our community.
Benefits of Spaying Female Pets
- Decreases the risk of breast cancer and tumors.
- Eliminates uterine disease, ovarian cysts, miscarriages and delivery complications.
- Stops the heat cycle (bloody discharge, nervous pacing, crying/yowling) which, in turn, stops male dogs from having the urge to come into your yard.
Benefits of Neutering Male Pets
- Decreases the risk of enlarged prostates, testicular cancer and tumors.
- Stops the mating drive and subsequent spraying, reducing the urge to roam and mount.
- Reduces aggression against other animals, lowering the risk of injury, infection and expensive veterinary bills.
Our Spay/Neuter Programs
Adopted Dogs and Cats: Every pet adopted from our shelter is spayed/neutered before leaving with their new families. There is no additional fee for this service and is included in our $75 adoption fee ($0 for pets 5 years and older).
BARCS Community Cat Program: A FREE spay/neuter and rabies vaccination program for outdoor cats in Baltimore City. Have an outdoor cat colony in your neighborhood? Please call (443) 240-8530 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how we can help you. Click here for the Community Cats Program page.
Public Spay/Neuter Services: Throughout the year, BARCS is able to provide FREE spay/neuter services to the public through voucher programs. These services are limited based on grant funding. Please contact to BARCS to see if a program is currently available at email@example.com or (410) 396-4695.
Help us continue saving lives by making a donation today to BARCS. Our Spay/Neuter Program is just one of the many ways BARCS is helping to keep pets in their loving homes and out of the shelter.